Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Biggest Loser Status and Broccoli Mushroom Bites

It's been a while since I posted here, so some things have changed in my life.  I'm running again, eating clean, and I became the Biggest Loser at my school by releasing 12 pounds in 9 weeks!  I won some cash in a pool that all the contestants put up at the beginning of the contest.  So, yeah.  Now, I'm totally loaded.

Anyway, in my quest to keep going, and to release another 40-50 pounds, I've continued with my journey toward eating only organic, whole foods, and I've taken it to the next level.  I'm always looking for new recipes to make my life easier, and I rarely find something that's easy which is also delicious.  For the old me, that meant going back to fast food and unhealthy processed "food products" instead of trying to find other true foods to make it work, but now it means adapting the recipe into something I love.

The following is an example of finding something I almost liked, and making it fit my tastes a little better.  I have blood sugar issues, so I'm still trying to decrease the amount of wheat and carbs I eat, but for now, these little guys make me pretty happy...  I usually make a batch each weekend, and take one or two to work and eat them for breakfast most mornings.  Or, they make a tasty dinner or lunch if I have nothing else on hand.  Meet my delicious broccoli mushroom bites...

Broccoli Mushroom Bites
Ingredients:
1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli crowns, blanched or steamed for 90 seconds (you can sub frozen, probably 2 boxes)
6 cremini mushrooms, sliced
¼ c. chopped onion
5 eggs
1 ½ c. shredded cheese (any kind, I use whatever I have on hand like cheddar, swiss, jack, or a mix)
½ c. dry bread crumbs*
½ tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1)   Sautee the onions until just soft, 1-2 minutes, then add mushrooms for a couple more minutes, season, and remove from skillet.  Spread out on a paper towel and let dry.
2)   Squeeze any water out of the broccoli (I use just a tablespoon of water to steam in the microwave, and this reduces the amount of squeezing you have to do to get the broccoli dry enough).
3)   Combine cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, veggies, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
4)   Divide into oiled, non-stick or silicone muffin pan (I have used both a jumbo 6-muffin pan, and a 12-muffin pan, either is fine).
5)  Sprinkle a little cheese on top of each "bite."
6)   Bake at 375ยบ for about 20 minutes, or until set.
7)   Run knife around edges to loosen, then remove from muffin pan.

*If you’re grain- or gluten-free, try subbing ½ c. parmesan cheese for the bread crumbs.

Enjoy!

Adapted from Stacey's Snacks

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, sounds pretty good. Congrats on all your healthy habits! I'm trying to eat better too, so I think I'll try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on this journey to eat healthier. I am sure you will accomplish your goal. Like father like daughter. Willpower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to decrease your carbs, try subbing out ground almonds for your dry bread crumbs. Plus you'll get some extra protein!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Title:
    Best Revenue sharing with the High Returns Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://whatacash.com
    Display Name: whatacashwaqar

    ReplyDelete

Way to blissfully paws for comments! Well done, you.

 
Custom Blog Design by I Love My Blog Makeover